If you are new to the house plant community, the Yucca Cane is the perfect plant to start your plant family. Not only is it a common houseplant in general, but it is especially popular in Florida. The Yucca is a low maintenance plant that does not require much to take care of it, so it is great for new plant moms or dads. Yucca originates from hot and dry areas such as the southern United States, South America, as well as the Caribbean. It thrives in desert regions, so it lives best in sunny and arid places.
Photo Credit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAOH_W6pZEQ/?igshid=16pbkq9hax4th
The Yucca Canes like a lot of light. The more light and heat they are exposed to, the more they will grow. Browning along the sides of the leaves or its tips are a sign that the plant needs more humidity. On the other hand, if there is yellowing among the leaves means there is an excess amount of water. When it is in the house, it does not require water or fertilizer often. The Yucca Cane grows slower and needs less frequent watering in low light. It should be watered when the top inch of the soil begins to dry up.
Photo Credit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBi5cOSAviD/?igshid=3tu6250wtkkd
- The Yucca symbolizes new opportunities and loyalty.
- The best time to fertilize the Yucca is during the spring and summer.
- The plant can live from 5-7 years.
- The root of the plant is used to make medicine that can help with migraine headaches and high blood pressure.
- The Yucca can help get rid of toxins from the air as it is an air purifying plant.
Written by: Michele Tornheim